Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

"In a Relationship"

I've been pretty vague about this guy, but it's time I write about him. Aaron. I mentioned him in one of my Valentine's Day posts, just not by name. He is seriously the sweetest guy ever. I was introduced to Aaron at the beginning of November by a friend from my old singles ward in Orem. She is married now, and her sister's husband is married to Aaron's best friend. 

We first met on a blind date back in November. I was skeptical; how many blind dates actually work out? Slim to none, I know. Not only that, he is divorced with four little ones. I figured I would just go out with him the one night and never hear from him again. I've had lots of dates like that. And the four children scared me! But my friend talked him up a lot and told me he was a really good guy. For our first date we went ice skating at seven peaks and then made pizza. It was Aaron and I plus the two other couples; Ashley and her husband Josh (Ashley is Amanda's little sis) and Amanda and Jake (Jake is Aaron's best friend). 

At the end of our first date Aaron walked me out to my car and was totally a smooth operator and asked me for my number. There was no hesitation, I had a really good time and he was easy to talk to. And he was cute, too! I figured I could just date him for fun and at least have some good dating experiences. We've gone out at least once a week since then. There were a few times where I considered telling him I couldn't handle the kids and ex wife and couldn't see him anymore. I'm so glad I didn't. I was so caught up in being scared about that stuff that I had a hard time seeing Aaron for who he really is and that those things can be worked through. I was also hung up on the fact that I want kids. We talked about it and worked through everything - he told me he wants more kids (just not too many!). I got over all of my worries and fell for him head over heels.

Not everyone in my family is supportive of my relationship, but I can't let that bother me. That's their problem. They haven't even met Aaron! He is seriously a good guy. I can't even explain it. He is the sweetest and most thoughtful guy ever and he is a really good dad. And speaking of him being a dad, I met his littles this last weekend. Not only them, but two of his brothers, their wives and children. I was SO stressed about it, and truth be told it was silly of me to worry. I was worried that I wouldn't know what to talk about with his kids, worried that their mom had trained them to automatically hate me, etc... They are super cute kids and they each have very different, yet similar, personalities. His oldest is 11. Yikes. But that's ok. I met her last Tuesday night, just Aaron, Sierra, and I. She had a dentist appointment up in Salt Lake (oh yeah, Aaron lives in Provo and his ex in Lehi/Highland) and I'd told him that growing up my mom sometimes took us for ice cream or a milkshake after going to the dentist because we couldn't eat anything and the cold felt good on our teeth. He suggested I meet up with them for froyo. I think I was more nervous to meet Sierra than the other three. Anyways, it went well and Aaron texted me later saying that Sierra told him she liked me. Saturday I just tried to breathe when I got nervous, thought about everything I was saying (just so it couldn't be taken the wrong way if it got back to their mom) and tried to have fun. I definitely did!

Our plan for Saturday was to meet up with Aaron's brother, wife and son at City Creek/Temple Square before Aaron, the kids and I went to a Real soccer game. After meeting up with everyone else we chatted for a while and let the kids play in the water at Temple Square before heading to the game. The game ended up being sold out and I felt so bad. Aaron had really talked the game up to the kids and they were looking forward to it. We got rain checks for a later game and ended up going back to my house to play with the dog. The kids loved Kingston! They had a lot of fun playing with him and didn't want to leave. I think they wore Kingston out, he went right to sleep after they left. Aaron told me yesterday that his third oldest said that Saturday was the best day ever. And his youngest asked if they could go back to Kingston's house. How cute is that?! Aaron is such a good dad. Watching him play and interact with his kids was the cutest thing ever, I don't even know how to describe it. It just melts my heart!

*Please ignore the fact that I look disgusting and we didn't do much posing. It was hard to tell when the pictures were being snapped and after we left the booth we realized that there had been props! I totally wanted another run, but there was a line and I didn't want to make the girl running the booth mad.

 So there you have it.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

cute! I'm really happy for you.

Kristen @ Confessions of a GDS said...

Awww! Falling for someone is so scary isn't it? He sounds like a great guy. I would be scared of the ex and kids too, but hey... life doesn't always turn out the way we plan. Just follow your heart and you'll turn out all right :)

HB said...

You are going to be a terrific step-mom. You are creative and fun, Kingston will be a plus AND you love their Dad...just be patient and remember transitions are hard on adults and especially kids.

Signed,
Your Relationship Counselor :)

HB